Jan 29, 2013

One Thousand Gifts

Ch 4
 

What was the pastor's most profound regret in life?
    "Being in a hurry.  Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me.  I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry.  But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing...Through all that haste I thought I was making up time.  It turns out I was throwing it away."  Mark Buchanan

Hurry always empties a soul.

I just want the time to live my life well.

...this is the only way to slow time:  When I fully enter times swift current, enter into the current moment with the weight of all my attention, I slow the torrent with the weight of me all here.  I can slow the torrent by being all here.  I only live the full life when I live fully in the moment. 

David has a sign on his desk that says "Be here now'".  Sarah has often told me that I don't really listen, pay attention to her.  I need to choose to Be. Here. Now. 

It's difficult.  So many things grab my attention... so many things are worthwhile...so many things, people, projects are calling out to me.  Pick me, pick me they scream.

Like being thankful this is a choice I must make.

Will I CHOOSE to Be.  Here.  Now?

Giving thanks for 1,000 things is ultimately an invitation to slow time down with the weight of full attention.

Why is eucharisteo the answer to the time starved and soul famished?  John 6:11, Jesus embraces His not enough, (5 loaves & 3 fishes), ...He gives thanks...And there is more than enough.  More than enough!

The real problem of life is never a lack of time.
    The real problem of life--in my life-- is lack of thanksgiving.

I redeem time from neglect and apathy and inattentiveness when I swell with thanks and weigh the moment down and it's giving thanks to God for this moment that multiplies the moments, time made enough.

I do what I always do.  I reach it.  I preach it to the person I need to preach to the most.  I preach to me.

Emergencies are sudden unexpected events--but is anything under the sun unexpected to God?

And I can always give thanks because an all-powerful God always has  these things--all tings under control. 

Life is not an emergency.
    Life is eucharisteo.

Life is dessert--to brief to hurry.

I want to slow down and taste life, give thanks and see God.





No comments: