I am a prolific reader. I usually have 3-4 books going at a time and I don't get them confused, except when I try to read Atlas Shrugged. Atlas Shrugged has defeated me several times and for the time being I have put it aside. I do intend to read it. But not this year.
I have never followed any plan for reading, or for even keeping track of what I have read, and I know that a lot of people do so that in itself made me pause and think about it a few weeks ago.
Here is the list that I came up with for 2017.
- God's Wisdom for Today I will not be reading through the entire Bible in 2017. Instead I am using a devotional I saw at Lowe's Foods of all places. Sarah gave it to me for my birthday.
- The Chronicles of Narnia I've never read this all the way through.
- Toward a Growing Marriage David and I went to a marriage seminar by the author many years ago. I was a good thing for us. Now we're in a new season, our kids are grown. David is working 2 jobs. We went through a major crisis and upheaval when he lost his job in September 2014. All of these things have had a major impact on our marriage and I want to be proactive in strengthening it.
- The Migraine Miracle Written by a neurologist who grew up with a mother suffering from migraines and now has them himself this book takes a new approach to conquering the beast. Diet. I am radically changing the way I eat. No sugar and No grains. I'm not there yet but I'm making progress.
- Living Above the Level of Mediocrity Several years ago this book was the subject of a Sunday Night Bible Study at Concord ARP. I bought the book then and want to revisit it.
- The Excellent Wife a Biblical Perspective Years ago I was asked to lead the monthly women's meeting in a Bible study. Off I went to the local Christian bookstore to peruse the shelves. One book kept pulling me back. My copy is now so tattered I've had to repair the covers with tape. It is full of underling, highlighting and notes. In this new season of our marriage I feel it is time to go through this book again. "Whether the focus is broad or narrow, each chapter is a part of the complete picture of being the wife that God desires, The Excellent Wife.
- Naked and Unashamed: The Journey Toward Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage Self explanatory.
- Persuasion. Saw the movie. Loved it. Time to read the book.
- One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are I started this book several years ago and got bogged down. This one too is heavily underlined and I have a notebook of pages of notes for each chapter. I'm not sure if I will just finish the book or start over. Either way it's well worth the time to read and pray over.
- Beyond All Measure. Written by a young pastor we attended church with for a while this book is a must read. This book is about Jesus and His love for His children. It attempts to look at who we are, and how Christ relates to us in spite of who we are. Using the proper light of Scripture to view and expose ourselves, we are then enabled to see the glorious nature of His unconditional love for us. Thomas Watson rightly said, "Till sin be bitter, Christ will not be sweet.
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass. I love the Johnny Depp movie versions but, again, have never read both books.
- DYNAMITE LOVE: Encounter The Explosive Power That Will Change Our World. Written by a young lady that I knew as a teenager at church and have had the joy of reconnecting with her through the magic of Facebook. Amber has grown into a wonderful, godly wife and mom and she's a good writer too! Available on February 1, 2017 in eBook format. I've pre-ordered mine and can't wait to read it.