Sep 9, 2009

Heart of Dakota, Creation to Christ

This year we are actually following a preplanned curriculum. I love it!! Everything is laid out in the teachers manual with a two page spread for each day. Each unit takes four days. We are using a variety of publishers such as Apologia for science, Rod & Staff for grammar, Write with the Best for writing, Saxon for math.

If you go to the web site, http://heartofdakota.com/ you can download samples of all levels of the curriculum, order a catalog, and join a message board. The author is active on the message board and also answers emails with questions.

We are three weeks into the year and are really enjoying every minute of it. The only thing I have added to our day have been Latin vocabulary, spelling, and guitar. With guitar my goal is to have Daniel continue to improve and teach me at the same time. We'll see how that goes. My fingers do not want to form the chords as easily as he makes it look.

The biggest things I love about this curriculum?

1. Everything is SPELLED OUT! In the event that I am sick, or when David and I go out of town in a few weeks, anyone will be able to take over.

2. The children can self-teach. Really! It's that well planned out!

3. It's completely biblical. All the history and Bible lessons flow together chronologically.

4. Even though I bought more books this year than I have ever bought for school in my life, I was able to buy almost every thing second hand. AND these books are worth keeping. As Charlotte Mason says, "No twaddle".

5. It is leading us into a deeper understanding of who GOD is, it is challenging us to think for ourselves.

' One of the most wonderful things about knowing GOD is that there's always so much more to know, so much more to discover. Just when we least expect it, He intrudes into our neat and tidy notions about who He is and how He works.'
Joni Eareckson Tada

No comments: