Dec 16, 2012

Diabetes

I thought I knew a lot about diabetes.  After all, I had gestational diabetes with both kids and was on insulin both times.  I worked with a pharmacist during my first pregnancy who was diabetic and she gave me lots of advice. 


But 16+ years later I realize that I don't know as much as I should.

I'm on insulin now.  It's my fault.  I didn't take it seriously and loose weight or exercise enough or watch my diet close enough...

Now I am reading 2 books and educating myself.  I can't depend on my doctor to do this.
I. Have. To. Do. It.

So today I have already take 2 15-minute walks.  One was in the rain.  I used an umbrella.  I only got damp.

I'm counting my carbohydrate intake.

I'm checking my blood sugar level frequently.

I need to really up my intake of fresh veggies.  Will make a run to Aldi tomorrow.

I created a spreadsheet modeled after one in a book.

On it I log what I eat, my blood pressure, my weight, my exercise, my insulin dose(s), and my blood sugar in both number form and on a chart so I have a visual.

It also has a comments section, for reasons, causes, excuses.

I use one page per day so that I can get a better picture of what is going on with my health.

Here is today's log so far:


400



















300








X
X







250












X





200





x












150



















100



















70



















50



















30




















BS




213

313
321
289





Time 4a.m. 5a.m. 6a.m. 7a.m. 8a.m. 9a.m. 10a.m. 11a.m. noon 1p.m. 2p.m. 3p.m. 4p.m. 5p.m. 6p.m. 7p.m. 8p.m. 9p.m. 10p.m. 11p.m.
Insulin Levemir




60u











































































Exercise









15m, w
15m, w



























Food





BLT-14 carb


nuts, 17C















Tea- 4 carb
































































































Comments: On steroids for lungs/ viral infection, asthma

















































































Weight



















BP 120/70


















Date 12/16/12



















I am determined to get better.

October was a bad month and I really slipped.   I had been walking with David in the evenings almost every night for the previous 7 weeks or so.  Then I had all those issues and felt so bad for so long that I just quite.  And the weight has started to creep back on.  So now I am back to exercise and being strict not as punishment but because it is good for me and I want to be healthy and I want to see my children get married and have families.  I want to be able to be active now for my kids and later to enjoy my grandkids.

Merry Christmas and Good Health to you all,
Love,
 Susan

No comments: