May 30, 2010

Rejoicing & Mourning


 

By Kerry S. Doyal, Grace Bible Church, www.GetGraced.org

No Doubt:
Tiggers are much more fun to be around than Eeyores. Yet Eeyores need love too. And tiring Tiggers need you to be hoppy & happy with them.

One of the most powerful gifts we can offer is that of empathy. Feeling the pain or planning the party with those who are celebrating or commiserating.

In a highly practical list of best family practices for believers, Paul urges us in Romans 12:15 to:

"Rejoice with those who rejoice;
mourn with those who mourn."

Who do you know that recently received good news? Celebrate them! Note their news, award, accomplishment with genuine joy - even if it was good news you did not receive.

Who is grieving, discouraged, taking lumps from life right now? Let them you know are sorry, pray for (WITH) them, send a card, share a tear, heft a hug, slip a twenty.

Party with the blessed.
Hurt and weep with the wounded.

The challenge is to not resent those celebrating when you feel life is kicking you in the shins. Nor are we to gloat over the hurting, even if - according to us - they "are finally getting their comeuppance, paying their dues."

"Rejoice with those who rejoice;
mourn with those who mourn." (NIV)
 
I (Susan) think this is one of the areas that we, as a body of Christ Followers, tend to slip.  I know I do.  I also know that it is this very thing that causes people to feel isolated in the church.  I've been there.  I have felt SO isolated from the fellowship because health problems prevented me from attending services.  And I know at least 3 other ladies that have also felt the same isolation because of similar situations.
 
I am not writing this to say "Shame on you," but instead as a challenge to all of us. 
 
 
So rejoice and celebrate with the Tiggers in you life.  BUT don't forget the Eeyores.  Make a phone call, send a card, deliver a meal, ask "How can I help?  How can I pray?"

No comments: