Mar 9, 2010

Sin and Grace

"Until individuals are aware of the gravity of their sin, they will not be awed by the reality of grace." -     Alistair Begg http://www.truthforlife.org/


Why don't we view sin as sin?
Why do we brush it aside and think "I'm not so bad. At least I don't _________"
You fill in the blank.  What and who are you comparing yourself to?  Who am I comparing myself to?

Years ago when we first started homeschooling I compared the way I was teaching my kids to another mom's method.  All I saw was how poorly I did when compared to this mom and her kids.  I didn't take into account that I was different and my kids were different.  On top of that, one of the main reasons we were homeschooling was so our kids could be taught at their own pace.  That meant we slowed down on some things and sped up on others.

What does that have to do with sin?  It has everything to do with it.  You see, I was comparing my proficiency as a Mom/Teacher with another person.  A person who was a sinner like me.  A sinner who had to rely on the saving bllod of Christ just like me.  If I was comparing myself to someone in the 'good' areas of my like, wasn't it logical to compare my sin to another's?

Who are we to compare ourselves to?
Christ alone!!!

And when I compare myself to Christ, I can  see my sin with new eyes.  I see my sin for what it really is.

“This Fathomless Love”, by Steve & Vikki Cook.

© 1999 Sovereign Grace Worship (ASCAP). Sovereign Grace Music, a division of Sovereign Grace Ministries.
From Songs for the Cross Centered Life and Everlasting.

THIS FATHOMLESS LOVE
VERSE 1


Lord, what moved Your heart to love lowly man
Before any star could herald Your praise?
And why did You come, abasing Yourself
Veiled in a robe of frail human clay?
Why would You, the pure, give Your life for the vile
The innocent seeking the guilty
To be reconciled?


CHORUS


I can’t comprehend this fathomless love
I’m gripped and amazed at what You have done
Why would the adored become the despised
To bear all the furious wrath that was mine?
How awesome this mystery
Of Your fathomless love for me


VERSE 2


Why would You adopt and take as Your own
Those who had crushed Your one precious Son?
Why mercy and grace towards Your enemies?
Your name they have cursed
And Your throne they have shunned
Oh, how could You choose
To show kindness to these?
The ones who would mock You and hate You
The ones just like me? 
 
Link to above song

No comments: