Mar 7, 2010

Purse Organizers

I like/need a lot of pockets in my purse.  I like to know that in purse A, my cellphone is the outside left pocket and in purse B it is in the inner, right pocket.  I think you get the picture.

I have one purse that Mom gave me that was handmade in Africa (?), but it has NO pockets.  As a result, I don't use it often.  I did use it today because the colors in the bag go well with what I was wearing.    But when I needed to grab a cough drop, I had to practically empty the entire contents, TWICE!

With that in mind I have been looking at all the options to make an organizer to fit various purses. The purse I just mentioned is an exception, all my other purses have at least a couple of pockets.

(Un)Fortunately there are a lot of options on the WWW. (Clink on links below)
     But they can be costly, ugly, not what I had in mind, etc.

So...Mom to the rescue again.  BTW My Mom is a great source of advice & information about cooking, sewing, crocheting...

Several months ago Mom showed me a purse organizer that she made.  It had 3 sections, several pocket (zippered & not).  In short it was just what I was looking for.  And the best thing about this organizer was 1. choosing your own fabrics, and 2.  you were able to configure it to suit your needs.

What is this wonderful organizer and where can I get it??


So of course I made one!  I learned  A LOT when making this. (use the weight fabric  the pattern calls for) The directions are very detailed.  I made mistakes, and had to fix seams several times.  But in the end I am very happy with my result.

Take a look




I did make 2 significant changes. 
1.  I added the white tabs at the ends, I think they will prove helpful in removing the insert from a purse.
2.  I did not like the exposed & then covered with bias tape look for the seams, so I made a seperate cover and hand sewed it to the liner.

With all that said, I would highly recommend this pattern to anyone who sews and wants to make their own organizer.

No comments: