Aug 23, 2014

New Tradition to Observe


The Gibson's, David and I,  have a history of cooking NC style BBQ. 

The back story:  David & I met at Troutman's BBG on Church St. in Concord.  I was a waitress and he was a customer. He and his family had been coming there since he was 12.  He was 22 when we met.   Over the years I worked at 3 different locations and when I left I had been a store manager for several years.  While there I learned a lot about cooking bbq which I have put into practice ever since.

Second back story:  Daniel excels at finding perfect little gifts for us. A few Christmas's ago he gave me a fridge magnet that reads, "Dinner will be served at the sound of the smoke alarm."  Truer words have not been said.  Not because I can't cook but because our smoke detectors are extremely sensitive and unless the oven is spotless almost any cooking will set them off.

Today is BBQ cooking day.  On a gas grill.  On the carport.  Invisible to passing cars except for the billowing smoke from the hickory chips which are smoldering away in a metal Ikea silverware basket that is perfect for this.

This is the Ikea container.  I have 3, only 1 is used on the grill.
Ikea Stainless Steel Caddy I use

Lots. Of. Smoke.

It's hard to photograph smoke.


So, that new tradition I mentioned. 
Having the Fire Department or County Sheriff  arrive because a passing motorist thought our house was on fire.  Today it was the Sheriff. 

The funniest thing about today's incident was that David and I had talked about them showing up on previous occasions and are thinking about cooking again and taking it to the guys at the Fire Dept., about 1 block down the street. 

Mmmm!  BBQ

And... for my non-southern friends.  BBQ is a noun, not a verb.

Listen to Rhett and Link for more info.

No comments: