Oct 18, 2012

If You're Considering Homeschooling...


I had a wonderful conversation with one of the pharmacy techs at my local pharmacy today. Her daughter turned 1 today and she was asking me about homeschooling. So many young, and not so young, moms want to do this but are afraid that they'll:
1. not have enough patience
2. not know enough to teach the child
3. ruin their kid for life.

I was able to share with her that she's been "homeschooling" her daughter from day

one. When she reads her a book, when they play together, when they do crafts, etc...

As a homeschooling mom, especially if you never send them away to school, you learn and grow with them.

You don't have to know calculus to teach a young child their colors. Besides, by the time they're ready for calculus, they are independent learners anyway!

So don't look at families like the Duggars and think, "I could never do that" (And I highly admire and respect the Duggars).  Remember they didn't start out with 19 kids. They started with 1 or 2 and as the other kids came along, the older ones helped the younger ones and they all are learning together as a family.

If you have the slightest interest in homeschooling, ask questions, talk to moms that you know who are already there. Most of us would love to share with you.

And while I'm sharing with you, I'll tell you there are days that we clash. There are days that I lose my patience... There are days that I want to send them to the bus stop.  This young mom was surprised that I told her that we have bad days, that the kids both have areas they struggle with, that  we're not perfect, LOL.

But those days are far fewer than the good days. And since we really believe that God has called us, the Gibson family, to homeschool then He will provide everything we need to bring it to fruition.

No comments: