Aug 18, 2013

Migraine Rant

My mom tries to tell me when she hears of something new for migraines. I really do appreciate it. Today she called to tell me about a product called "Migralex". It's a combo of aspirin 500mg and Magnesium Oxide 75 mg. Nothing special, no new ingredients. Guess how much it costs for 1 bottle of 20 caplets? $39.95 plus 6.95 for shipping and handling.

Un. Be. Lieve. A. Ble.

Snake Oil.

Unfortunately people will pay this ridiculous price because they are desperate for migraine relief. I am desperate for relief but I am NOT STUPID.

I may try the combo on my own. I have aspirin on hand, just need to pick up a bottle of mag ox. It would be great if it works. But if it works I still won't pay this ridiculous price.

And this is the problem with a disease like Migraine.

There. Is. No. Cure. YET!

There are no guarantees that this treatment or that treatment will work for any patient.

I was supposed to be getting the Botox injections in September. I won't be getting them at all because, 1. I have no assurance that they will work for even a little while. and 2. Even with the insurance and our deductible paid and we've almost hit the maximum that we have to pay out of pocket for the year, I still was going to have to pay over $1,000 for 1 round of injections. For medical reasons, not cosmetic.

Scream!!!

No comments: